Sunday, August 31, 2008

Saints Football

Saturday, in honor of the Ducks season opener, I went to see the Tampere Saints Football team play their final game of the season. And when I say football, I don't mean soccer, I mean good old American football in Finland. I wasn't sure what to expect when I entered the Berkeley High like field, and nothing was cleared up when on the first play of the game the quaterback (#5) ended a 60 yard run in the endzone. My Finnish tutor (who's dating the running back) quickly explained to me that #5 was an American, and unlike everyone else who paid to play, he recieved a montly stipend and free housing. In a very Colvis like manner he is also the team's kicker and kick returner. The winless Saints were facing the Turku Trojans in what turned out to be a messy turnover filled game. The Saints had no defense. Now, I have no problem watching bad football ( BHS played in the ACCAL) but try watching football with no game or play clock and tell me how you are suppose to get in to it, because I was for sure struggling with the scoreboard. Unfortuanately the Saints ended their season with another loss. But I enjoyed watching the game and also watching the Finns watch the game.
A little friday night lights action in Tampere.


The quaterback kicking off


Saints Vs. Trojans


What was I suppose to do with this scoreboard?


Hand-off to my tutors boyfriend


The Finns do not miss a chance to advertise.


In case you wondering what finnish football players look like.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great entry, Meg. Only you would go to Finland and find an American-style football team to blog about.

Oh, I have a side business in which you might be interested:

Mrs Hourula's Proofread-A-Blog. For a very reasonable price, I will go in after you post a blog entry and fix all the spelling and punctuation errors. Sign up now and get six months of expert proofreading FREE!

loveyoumeanit

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan!
I was beginning to wonder what the Finns look like, especially the football players. Thanks for that picture.

I'm excited that you found football in Finland and made some references to the good old days. Scott is at his high school watching the football team play right now. I got incredible jealous because I wanted nothing more than to finish vball practice, get some high tech burritos, get scared by the homeless man in the bush at Borders (RIP), and then go watch the Bhigh team play while cuddling the D-Fence. Pretty much a routine 4 years ago.

The difference between the Tampere Saints Football and Bhigh Lax is that there actually are Finns on the team. You can marry one.

And I am sorry you did not beat the Trojans, as Trojans should always be beaten.

Can't wait to see some pictures of some more Finns. And to read their names.

Richard Hourula said...

Megan, Great pics, nicely written. The folks back home want more, of course. Meanwhile we're proud of you.
Love,
Daddy