Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lentopallo

Yesterday, in an attempt to add some normalcy to my stay in Finland, I tried out for a volleyball team. It's a city league team called Mesto and it's basically a semi-pro team. Now when I went to the team's practice I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into, and today I still don't really know. The coach and the team's manger don't speak English and while I'm sure most of the girls have studied English only one felt comfortable talking to me. Volleyball is pretty universal, so by watching I pretty much could figure out what I needed to do. The only problem is, this is a very serious team and I am seriously out of shape. My volleyball skills were up to par, but lets just say going up and down stairs today was not the easiest of tasks. I might return tomorrow to try again, or I might just have to except that it is not the right fit. They practice five days a week and the season is from October to March, doesn't really give me a lot of flexibility. If there is one thing I hope to gain from this stay in Finland, it is a little bit spontaneity.

9 comments:

david santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi MEGAN,

i like this whole trying-new-things attitude. i can't even imagine playing vball with a group of people who i can't really talk to. im proud u are putting yourself out there with new people, which is something that would never have happened 3 years ago. you are making me jealous that i am not studying abroad. maybe i should look into it for next summer.

love,
steph

Anonymous said...

OOOooooO you deleted a comment! I'm sure you'll do great goober pants.

Megan said...

yeah. my official ruling is that if i don't know you i will delete your comment.

Richard Hourula said...

Oldest daughter, I'm so very glad you have a blog. Only thing missing is a links section so you can refer people to MY blog http://rikuwrites.blogspot.com/
Keep up the good work and don't ask for more money.
Love,
Your Father

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan -- don't delete me! Great to see this blog and keep up with your adventures in Finland. If you want a change of scene and can get to England we'd love to see you over here. Have fun -- the Rosenzweig's in Sedbergh (look it up!)

Unknown said...

yeah cousin-hyvää serkku!keep up the sisu!
welcome to europe!
i just sent johannes off to finland yesterday, whenever you feel like taking a trip to italia you are definitely welcome to come (ryanair from tampere to milan!).and i hope to visit there soon,too!enjoy your suomi year...maiju

Kathryn said...

Hello to Megan Hourula, International Blogger. Remember, the only good blog is the one that is UPDATED REGULARLY and has LOTS OF PHOTOS!

I mailed your box today. I spent $61 to send you a pile of old tee-shirts, a pair of boots and a sweater. That's at least worth three photo-filled blog entries!

loveyoumeanit,

Anonymous said...

I hope your mom sent you that KNOTB pin in addition to the other things that cost $61 dollars to send. I think i'll send you some imaginary cookies... because they're free!